June 27, 2008

A Touch of Color

So a friend of mine is opening a jewelry store and asks if I can design a logo for him. I give him my rates and send him a questionnaire/creative brief so I can get a better idea of what he is looking for. The name is A Touch of Color. Now many times as a designer we will often face having to work with something that seems a bit off. A Touch of Color may not (for some) feel like a jewelry store name so my job is to make you think jewelry store when you see it. The overall concept with both directions was the intertwining of elements in jewelry, this goes beyond just links on a chain but also the use of different elements such as materials, metal, precious stones and so on. Both directions do this but in different ways. Both logos are hand drawn and then inked (when his business loans come through) he'll have me finalize the one he likes, making it a digital version and I will begin to create color versions for usage. I start all logos in just black and white because if you get the mark to be strong in just one color than the addition of color can bring more life to it without the color being the sole strength of the mark.


This mark was inspired by some of the work by the brothers at Invisible Creature. Dealing with long and sometime ornate names of bands helps them create dynamic marks that speak volumes of what the audience is in for.


With this direction I was looking towards something more traditional, using a combination of John Downer's Brothers and Zuzana Licko's Mrs Eaves both from Emigre. I redrew them by hand in order to create the interlocking letterforms but have the intention of making Mrs Eaves the workhorse typeface for A Touch of Color's business system. It is a beautiful typeface that I think helps bring about the feeling of the handmade and antiquity of the jewelry. And the entire package is only $95!

0 comments: