August 09, 2009

Clash of The Giants

Something I've obviously noted since coming back north is the rebranding of Giant foods.




The Original Logo




The New Logo

I can understand the need to rebrand especially in a market that wants more organic, natural foods and a more experience centered shopping environment. The cornucopia aspect of the logo isn't bad but the lettering just seems I don't know...generic. Many of the old stores featured signage in ITC Benguiat which in it's nouveau style at least felt organic. The new logo's lettering is emotionless and somehow doesn't capture the cornicopia essence of the mark. I think some hand lettering is in order and using the existing font as the brand's workhorse instead of it's logotype. But then again that's me, I could be wrong.

0 comments: